As with most ministries, ministry in China is generally best begun with a pursuit of learning more about the people one is ministering to and with and the context which they find themselves in. China Partner, therefore, is committed to helping individuals and groups learn about China’s culture and policies, the Chinese Church, and how to partner with God’s work there. You might question whether learning about China is really active partnership with God in His work there; however, the more you know the better you will be able to pray, dialogue with others, and actively participate in serving the Church in China.
There is a great deal to learn about any nation including it’s culture and policies and God’s people and work there. This is especially true of China – a nation with over 4,000 years of history and an estimated 1.33 billion people (approx. 1/5th of the world’s population)! While you won’t be able to grasp all there is to know about China today, here’s are some starter facts:
- China is the fourth largest country in the world with an area of 9,596,960km2
- China has 23 provinces (Taiwan is considered its 23rd province), 5 autonomous regions (including Tibet), 4 municipalities (Beijing, Chongqing, Shanghai, Tianjin), and 2 special administrative regions (Hong Kong and Macau)
- Most Chinese live in the better-watered central and eastern costal provinces
- China is made up of 91.5% Han people with the other 8.5% consisting of 55 recognized ethnic minorities (2000 census)
- The official language of China is Madarin Chinese, with local languages being used as the official language in the five autonomous regions
- The literacy rate (age 15 and over can read and write) is 90.9% (2000 census)
- There are at least 42 cities with populations of over 1 million people, contributing to an ever growing 43% urban population
- The average annual income per person is $360 (or 1.7% of the United States’ average)
- The Cultural Revolution (1966-1976), directed by Chairman Mao Zedong, was the culmination of the remolding of the nation along Marxist lines by the Communist Party (officially beginning in 1949)
- China is the oldest current Communist nation
- 1997 saw the return of Hong Kong from England to China, followed by the 1999 return of Macao from Portugal
- Since 1988 over 72 million Bibles and New Testaments (for domestic use and export) have been printed in China, and this only includes those printed by Amity Printing Co. (a joint venture between Amity Foundation and the United Bible Societies) in Nanjing
- There are an estimated 40 million Evangelical Christians in China today, with daily growth occurring
- There are at least 23 Theological Schools in China, each naming themselves as they see fit, whether it be seminary (12), Bible school (6), training center (3), training class (1), or theological class (1). In addition, multiple church have ‘training centers’ as a part of their local ministries.
Following this brief introduction to China there are a great many directions which you can go in learning even more. In light of this, the staff of China Partner have collected some of the resources they have found to be most accurate and applicable based on their years of service in China. You are invited to learn more about China as you continue your journey of partnership with God in serving the Church in China, by exploring the following pages:
In addition to the resources provided on this website, China Partner is committed to assisting your pursuit of learning about China further if possible. Therefore, China Partner representatives can be heard sharing about China and God’s people and work there at various venues around the United States annually, and occasionally internationally as well. Generally such engagements are in conjunction with a local church’s missions program; however, representatives at times speak at seminaries, larger mission conferences, etc. Also, as opportunities present themselves, China Partner co-leads China Symposiums – events which bring Chinese Christian leaders together with interested individuals and groups in the United States to further build God’s Kingdom through mutual learning. If you would like to know where China Partner will be sharing next, would like to have a representative participate in your next China event, or simply would like further information please complete the Contact Form
and the China Partner staff will be happy to help you.